Thursday, February 20, 2014

It's all about Divergent!!

So, March 22nd is the big date, and nearly EVERYONE is thrilled about seeing the movie.  In the library I can't keep up with how many copies are out or on hold or even missing!  I'm just crossing my fingers that this isn't a sleeper, but a HUGE success!

And I'm getting swept along with the tide of excitement!  Recently on a listserv, I was following a strand about an idea a wonderful librarian named Amanda K started.  She's making a display revolving around the four factions and needed titles.  Of course I contributed to the conversation, but my wheels began to turn about how I could fashion my March bulletin board display to this as well....

My library assistant and I started knocking heads on this one.  She found a PERFECT poster from EpicReads ( http://epicreads.tumblr.com/post/66974564610/25-books-to-try-if-you-loved-divergent ) that gave her ideas for displays on the shelves.

I found a wiki with PLENTY of information, including the faction graphics we can freehand (or rather a gifted student with art skills, since I suck at drawing!  Thank goodness there's a thing called an Elmo!) http://divergent.wikia.com/wiki/Divergent_Wiki

Then I came up with a list of books for each faction.  It was a dauntless task, filled with abnegation to share with the erudites of the world who need a little more amity in their lives. (yeah, yeah...couldn't help myself)  So here's what I'm using:



Abnegation (definition: selflessness)
Beastly by Alex Flinn
A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
My Sister’s Keeper by Jodi Picoult
Hideous Love by Stephanie Hemphill
Deadline by Chris Crutcher
Contaminated by Em Garner

Erudite (definition: great knowledge or learning)
The Testing by Joelle Charbonneau
Accomplice by Eireann Corrigan
Evil Genius by Catherine Jinks
Test by William Sleator
Cheater by Michael Laser

Amity (definition: friends; friendly relationship)
Boy 21 by Matthew Quick
Roomies by Sara Zarr
Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein
The Last Summer of the Death Warriors by Fransisco X. Stork
Hothouse by Chris Lynch

Dauntless (definition: fearlessness, determination)
The Warriors Heart: Becoming a Man of Passion and Courage by Eric Grietens
Courage Has No Color: the true story of the Triple Nickels: America’s First Black Paratroopers by Tanya Lee Stone
The Boy Who Dared by Susan Campbell Bartoletti
Fearless by Cornelia Funke
The Odyssey by Homer

Candor (definition:honesty)
To Be Perfectly Honest by Sonya Sones
Harmless by Dana Reinhardt
In Too Deep by Amanda Grace
Inexcusable by Chris Lynch
Just Listen by Sarah Dessen
The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde
A little of everything from fantasy to non-fiction; romance to real life reads, even new vocabulary words!  So can you use this?  PLEASE DO!  Let's all make the world a little more Divergent, shall we?  

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

What about a list of books for Candor?

Naomi said...

oops! updating right now!!

sandraca said...

Super ideas. I'm going to borrow it!

sandraca said...

Great ideas. I must borrow. Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I love the idea of recommending books by the Divergent factions! It makes me want to read one from each immediately...

-Rachel

Christi said...

Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Thank you!!

st@rlight said...

thanks, this will be totally great for our Middle School!